Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Words without Reality

 Mt. 23:2
...so practice and observe whatever they tell you--but not what they do. For they preach, but do not practice...

Jesus makes it clear what the scribes and Pharisees are like and warns those listening not to be like them. Even though they sit on Moses' seat, they are hypocrites, speaking one thing but doing another. Their actions are not related to their words. 
  • They preach without practice
  • They tie up heavy burdens placing them on others without being willing to carry them personally.
  • They do their deeds to be seen of others.
  • They love the places of honor, their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, greetings in the marketplaces, and being called rabbi.
What was the response of those listening? I mean these men that Jesus was exposing were their spiritual leaders. Had they noticed this corruption in these men? Was what Jesus was saying common knowledge? Regardless, Jesus was telling them now, and He was making it abundantly clear. Perhaps He was telling them so that they could examine their lives for this same hypocrisy.

Jesus used the Pharisees to teach a vital principle in the kingdom of God, that is whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.  The kingdom of God is the exalt opposite of what the Pharisees and scribes thought and did! Not only did they want to be exalted now, but they wanted the praise of men in this life.  Jesus exposed these actions for what they really were! Don't seek to be called rabbi for this is only one teacher, and all our brothers. Don't call any man father because there is only one Father who is in heaven. Don't seek to be instructors because there is only one instructor, Christ. This Pharisaical attitude of placing one man above another is wrong. It is of this world and not of the kingdom of God. Jesus is exposing something not just in the heart of the Pharisees but something in the heart of most men and most Christians. Sadly, man loves the praise and  attention of other men. By Jesus' very example, He came to serve and not to be served. He came to offer Himself for others. Jesus' words and actions were one in the same. His life reflected what He said.

Are my words and my actions the same? Am I concerned with serving others? Am I honoring the Father and the Son by my love of others? Or do I still want to be noticed and appreciated? This desire for praise is insidious and so basic to the very fabric of my flesh. Thankfully, God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. When I abound through Him and His sufficiency becomes my sufficiency, then He gets all the praise!

Father,
Keep my eyes off self and on You. Give me Your grace and strength to serve You and love others. Take away my desire for praise. Make my words and my actions the same.
In Jesus name,
Amen
     

No comments:

Post a Comment