Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Just Joking

Prov. 26:18-19
  Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, "I am only joking!"

How many times have I heard people say hurtful, cutting remarks and then follow it with, 'Just joking'? How many times have I said those kinds of things? I am afraid more than I would like to admit. But what about doing hurtful things? Would things like these be considered practical jokes? I know that I hate practical jokes or doing things that humiliate other people basically because I don't want them done to me. I think that this proverb is singly out a mean streak in people that is often excused under the guise of jokes. Matt. 7:12 says So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them... Eph. 4:32 says Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you. These verses seem to give a reason for refraining from such acts and words. I must treat others as Christ has treated me. I am to be known by the law of love, His love, not by my own mean-spirited fleshly nature.

This proverb hits the nail on the head revealing the motivation for such words and actions. The person who engages in these activities is like a madmen (someone bereft of sense, intelligence, and ethics) who throws firebrands, arrows, and death. If there were a madman on the loose throwing these actual things at people, he would be arrested or incarcerated. He would not be allowed to stay free and injure other people. Yet, those who hurl burning words and shoot arrows that kill the spirit in a person are allowed free rein. What a deal! Perhaps people are unaware of their true motives or are unaware of the devastating effects of what they do and say. But I think all we need to do is look at school shootings where kids who have been bullied or ostracized become madmen shooting bullets that are often fatal. Words and actions must be taken seriously. James says is succinctly, The tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. I need to remember that rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Amazing, healing from words!

Father,
Help me to guard my ways, that I might not sin with my tongue. Transform my words so that they reflect Your love and bring healing to those You bring in my life.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment