Thursday, March 1, 2012

Gray Hair and Old Age

Prov. 20:29
The glory of young men is their strength, but the splendor of old men is their gray hair.

Old age doesn't mean life is over, that the zest for life is gone! In fact it is just another example of how the Bible is counter to the accepted cultural thought. Certainly, the young are strong and full of energy, but there is something to be said for those who have lived life, for those who have endured, and for those who have learned life lessons. Perhaps the old don't need as much strength because they make wiser decisions based on the years that have gone before. It makes no difference though, because God has something for those who are old regardless of their decision making track record. He wants them to continue to serve. The righteous flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon. They are planted in the courts of our God. They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. He still wants me to be fruitful and to declare Him to those that He brings in my path. Thankfully, it doesn't mean I am ready to be shelved or obsolete. God's design and mission lasts until He calls me home to Him and then it continues on in an even more glorious venue!

So what is my response to aging and all of its own particular 'glories'? O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim Your might to another generation, Your power to all those to come. What a glorious mission!  He is there beside me as my physical body wears out keeping my inner spirit shining brighter than ever so that I am ever ready to share Him and our journey together.

Father,
Give me wisdom on how to bridge the generational gap and share You with those that are to come. Help me proclaim Your might and power to all that You bring in my path.
In the name of Jesus,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment