Sunday, March 4, 2012

Whoever

Mt. 10: 37-39
Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Such strong words! Love of God and His kingdom must take precedent over every other relationship, if not, I would not be loving Jesus with my whole heart, soul, mind, and strength. The psalmist had it right when he prayed, Teach me your law. O Lord, that I may walk in Your truth. Unite my heart to fear Your name. I believe Jesus is talking about just such uniting. Preceding these verses Jesus states that He did not come to bring peace to the earth, but a sword. His word, the sword of the Spirit, does divide and separate. Here it speaks of man against father and daughter against mother. When push comes to shove and decisions have to be made or stands taken, the family must bow to the Savior. He must be the all-consuming One! Even within my soul, my inner man, the Word is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from His sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. Jesus, the living Word, shines a supernatural light on all that I hold dear and exposes it for what it is. Is what is in me, the treasure of my heart, reflecting my love for the Savior? Am I finding my life in Him? If I am not, I am surely kidding myself because Jesus will not share co-ownership of my life. It is either His way or no way! He is the only way! I must follow Him at all costs!

Father,
Unite my heart to fear Your name. Teach my heart to love only You and stand for You at all costs.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment