Friday, August 31, 2012

Nothing on Earth

Ps. 73:25-26
Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
 
In Ps. 73, Asaph recorded his personal struggles, a struggle where his feet nearly stumbled and where he was envious of the arrogant man's prosperity. He noticed how easy the wicked man had it even though he had spoken against the heavens and God. Asaph even went so far as to feel that he had kept his heart and life clean for nothing. What a bad place! But thankfully, Asaph was rebuked every morning.[The Spirit of God never leaves those who are His.] In his heart Asaph knew it would be too difficult to understand by himself, so he went to the sanctuary of God. There was and is the key! When things are confusing, unjust, wearisome, go to the sanctuary of God. Get in His presence for there he would be able to discern the end of these people. It was there he could get his heart right. He realized he was brutish and ignorant and was like a beast toward God. How honest! [I can certainly identify with these feelings.] Asaph stayed continually with God, and soon God was his guide and his counsel. Soon he was able to say,  Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. He realized that those who are far from God will perish. God will put an end to the unfaithful! But for Asaph, it was good to be near God. He had made God his refuge, his refuge from injustice, negativity, and bitterness.
 
What a lesson! Who hasn't felt like Asaph? Who hasn't envied others who are more prosperous, more blessed, and even more talented? Unless I come to God, like Asaph did, with those horrible feelings, they will eat and devour my heart and soul. It is in His sanctuary, in His presence, that I can remember and rejoice in what is true about God. It in His presence that I can get my priorities right and realize nothing on earth compares to God.
 
Father,
Thank You for this timely message. My heart is often brutish. I confess. Heal my wounds and keep my eyes focused only on You.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment