Friday, April 29, 2011

Deep Emotion

Ps. 88:1
"Everyday I call upon You, O Lord; I cry out day and night before You."

The psalmist's emotions were in full play as he came before the Lord. He began with "crying out day and night." Even though his heart was in deep distress, he brought his pain before the Lord constantly. What better place to go for comfort and healing! As he prayed, he asked the Lord to 'incline' His ear, to listen to his cries because His pain was almost beyond enduring. He was full of troubles with no strength, feeling like he was among the dead. In his heart, he felt that God was the author of all his pain including being in the depths, cut off from God's hand, and shunned by his friends. In this acute loneliness when all else was removed, he went to the only One left, God calling out every day with his hands spread upwards. His eyes were growing dim with sorrow. Until finally, he prayed in his helplessness knowing that he could do nothing to change his situation.

God uses sorrow, hardships, trials, and afflictions to reveal and destroy my self-sufficiency. It is in complete helplessness that He wants me to cry out to Him. When my own resources have come to an end, I must rely on His. This is His place of blessing for me! "For to this I have been called, because Christ also suffered for me, leaving me an example, so that I might follow in His steps." Such suffering reveals those "weights and sins which clings so closely" so that I might "run with endurance the race that is set before me, looking to Jesus the founder and perfecter of my faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." What an example for me! When trials pour on, do I cry out to God day and night? Do I open up my heart and reveal all my deep feelings to God?

Father,
Keep me ever crying out to You. Help me to crucify my self-sufficiency so that I might come to You in helplessness. Give me Your faith and strength to accept all my life as Your best for me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment