Monday, April 25, 2011

Of God

I Chron. 5:20, 22
"...for they cried out to God in the battle, and He granted their urgent plea, because they trusted in Him...for many fell, because the war was of God."

The Reubenites, the Gadites, and the half-tribe of Manasseh had valiant warriors who were well versed in war, in carrying the shield, sword, and drawing the bow. Their army had 44,760 warriors who were expert in the art of war. Yet, in the midst of their war, they cried out to God asking for His help, and He granted their plea because they trusted in Him. Since the outcome of the war was God's, many fell because the war was of God.

Even though these men were experts in war and had a huge supply of man power, they didn't rely on their own strength for the victory. Similarly, my spiritual war against the flesh is one that I often think I have a degree of expertise in. Foolishly, I often think I can handle whatever comes up only to find out that the outcome is failure. If I want my life to be "of God," then I must cry out to Him. I must rely on His strength for the daily battle against my flesh. When I am doing this, then He is my urgent plea and my daily life is of God. It seems like a no-brainer. Why wouldn't I cry out to God? Why wouldn't this be my constant choice?Why do I listen to my flesh and trust in my own strength? 

Father,
Teach me to cry out to You constantly. I want my daily battle to be all of You. Reveal to me where I am still grasping my self-sufficiency. Give me the strength to hold only to You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment