Friday, April 15, 2011

One Thing

Ps. 27:4-6
"One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple. For He will hide me in His shelter in the day of trouble; He will conceal me under the cover of His tent; He will lift me high upon a rock. And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord."

David had been running from Saul living a life away from his home, from any comforts, and from the house of the Lord. His very existence had been in danger, yet in the midst of this, David's heart was for God. He yearned to be close to God, to have the time to gaze upon the Lord, but Saul gave him no such time. As a man who was pursued vigilantly, he had to be constantly watchful, running, and hiding. Even though survival left no time for the life he truly desired, it did not change the desire of his heart

Since David had done no wrong, he could have blamed God for this unending conflict with Saul. He could have regretted God's choosing him and rather chosen to live a life of ease and safety, but he did not. The singular goal of his heart was to dwell in the house of the Lord gazing on His beauty and inquiring of the Lord. God was his all! He longed for the day when he could be free of this struggle, when his head would be lifted high above his enemy. Even now, he believed that God would hide him in His own shelter and under the cover of His tent. He knew that his footing would be established on the rock that God provided for him. Such love and devotion flourished in the midst of injustice and danger. He knew that he would eventually see the goodness of the Lord if he would just wait, be strong, and take courage. God's own presence was his personal strength and courage. How does my heart fare in the midst of strife and conflict? Do I maintain my focus and love for God? Am I singular in my love and devotion, or does survival negate the spiritual quality of my life? God answered David's prayer by giving him that one thing he desired. He became a man after God's own heart. Such devotion and love grew out of the fires of affliction, injustice, and helplessness.

Father,
This is what I desire too, but even as I read David's prayer, human fear grips my heart. Give me Your grace to believe and stand true.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment