Sunday, April 17, 2011

Resting in God's Plan

I Sam. 26:10
"As the Lord lives, the Lord will strike him, or his day will come to die, or he will go down into battle and perish. The Lord forbid that I should put out my hand against the Lord's anointed."

This time David was so close to Saul that he was able to take his spear and jug of water which were lying  beside Saul's head as he was sleeping. In fact, none of Saul's guard woke up because the Lord had put them in a deep sleep. David's companion, Abishai, wanted to pin him to the earth with one stroke, yet David would not allow it. He knew that when God was ready he would take him, but it was not up to David to touch the Lord's anointed. Instead, David was resting in God's plan and purpose. But that didn't make his life easy. He was still under attack and on the run. He still feared for his life on a daily basis.

 Many times people think that if they are 'resting' in God, their life should be one of ease, but not so. Resting in God's sovereign plan means having his grace in place of their self-sufficiency. It means not responding to the threats and difficulties in a fleshly manner, but entrusting their souls to a faithful creator while doing good.  Just as Jesus did not sin with his mouth when he was reviled. When He suffered and was threatened, He endured silently, and continued entrusting Himself to Him who judges justly. Resting in God's plan means that I realize that all the circumstances of my life are used by God for my good even though I may not understand these circumstances.  His plan requires my trust and rest and His grace and strength.

Father,
Teach me how to rest in You and not react to difficult circumstances. Keep my trust off myself. Teach me to wait on You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment