Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Whom in Heaven but You?

Ps. 73:25-26
"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Asaph's heart was overflowing with an acute awareness of God as opposed to what the world had to offer. His desires were no longer horizontal but vertical, focused on the very presence of God.  It was here that he realized that God was the only one that mattered, all else on earth paled in the light of God's glory. What a powerful insight! How had he arrived at this understanding? Perhaps it was from a personal relationship with God where God Himself was Asaph's strength and portion. God had opened Asaph's eyes to the true, eternal realities. Paul echoed these same insights when he said,"But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." I desire this same focus. How, Lord?

Father,
I so want you to be my only desire, but I know the world has a hold on me. I confess that and ask You to fill me with Your grace and power so that You will be my only focus.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment