Sunday, April 24, 2011

A Doorkeeper

Ps. 84:10
"For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness."

What emotion filled the psalmist's heart! He loved the Lord's dwelling so much that it made him physically ill if he was not in the courts of the Lord. His heart and flesh cried out for joy. God was his lifeline. Without Him, the psalmist was weak to the point of not functioning. Do I long for the house of the Lord like this? Do I feel physically ill if I can not be in God's house? Can I function apart from God?

He blessing in the house of the Lord brought protection and a dwelling place. In this safety, he poured out his songs of joy. Such abiding created intimacy with God!  Not only that, but he experienced the strength of God, a strength that was never ending. He didn't have to fail prey to his flesh as long as he was abiding with God. Am I experiencing this intimacy with God? Does my strength go from strength to strength?

The psalmist concluded by choosing a day in the courts of the Lord over a thousand elsewhere. Being a doorkeeper in God's house was supremely better than dwelling in the tents of wickedness. The world had nothing for him because He rested in God's sovereign good. He knew he was blessed because he trusted in God. Amazingly, I am blessed in this same way. What a great a glorious God!

Father,
Make the truths and emotions of Ps. 84 resonate within my life. Give me that same joy and delight in You.
In Jesus name.
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment