Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Lord Repays

II Sam. 3:39
"And I was gentle today, though anointed king. These men, the sons of Zeruiah, are more severe than I. The Lord repay the evildoers according to his wickedness."

Even though David had made peace with Abner, Joab and his brother, Abishai went to him privately to kill him since he had killed their brother, Asahel. Although their primary motive was revenge for their brother's death, they felt he couldn't be trusted to switch sides and loyalties. So they took matters into their own hands ridding David of what they felt was a bad situation. Their actions totally countered what David had arranged with Abner. Once again, David was resting in God as the handler of situations, as the repayer of the evildoers.  

Similarly, when Christ was crucified, he committed no sin. There was no deceit in his mouth, nor did he revile in return or threaten those who unjustly abused him. Instead he entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly. Accomplishing the will of God was the most important thing to Him. I Peter tells me to follow in Christ's example in His suffering and resting in the hands of God. I, too, must entrust my soul to God and let Him repay the evildoers because God is sovereign in power, will, and purpose. He doesn't need my help in handling people.

Father,
Keep me trusting in You as the handler of all the people and events that come into my life. Keep my eyes focused on You and Your plan for me.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment