Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Timeless

Ps. 18:1-3
"I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies."

David's heart was full of praise for God! He had been faithful to God by not taking things into his own hands, but instead trusting in God for His timing. Even though he knew he was called and anointed to be king, he refused to take Saul's life. He waited patiently on the Lord to work out the details of his life. And God did! David was finally free of Saul's continual attempts upon his life.

David's praise expressed not only his heartfelt emotion but the quality of his relationship with God. His heart was overflowing with love, love for a God who had been his strength, rock, fortress, deliverer, shield, horn of salvation, and stronghold. What a relationship they had! David knew he could call upon the Lord, because he had done so repeatedly and would continue to do so in the future. He knew personally that God was worthy of praise because God had answered him repeatedly, and now had saved him from his enemies.

These words that flowed from David's heart are just as true for me today as they were for David then. I love God! He is my strength, rock, fortress, deliverer, shield, horn of salvation, and stronghold. I call upon Him repeatedly and know personally that He is worthy to be praised. "This God--His way is perfect, the word of the Lord proves true; He is a shield for all those who take refuge in Him."  What a great God who never ceases to love those who call upon His name! He is the same yesterday, today, and forever! I praise Him for who He is!

I wonder if the ease of my life dulls the edge of my praise or diminishes my emotions? Even though God is the same for me, is my response as charged as David's was?

Father,
Teach me how to love you from a pure heart. Help me to run to You when I fear or falter. Build our relationship to 'David proportions.'
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment