Friday, April 8, 2011

God's Will

I Sam. 2:25
"But they would not listen to the voice of their father, for it was the will of the Lord to put them to death."

Hophni and Phineas were worthless men who did not know the Lord even though they were the sons of Eli and served as priests at Shiloh. Not only did they treat the offering of the Lord with contempt, but they did immoral acts with woman serving at the tent of meeting. Eli was not ignorant their behavior and spoke to them asking why. Even though that seems pretty weak, he did tell them that their would be no one to mediate for them with God. As a result, God declared that Eli's house would be cut off from the service of the Lord and his two sons would die on the same day. How sad! Eli's spiritual vision was so clouded that he couldn't see or deal properly with his sons. In his mind, he knew what God would do, but in his heart and his life he could do nothing.

As I read this story, I wonder who was to blame. Did Eli educate his sons in the ways of the Lord, or was Eli's heart far from the Lord as well? Was Eli's spiritual insight so dulled that all he did was go through the motions of being a priest? Was he just an indulgent father? Whatever the problem, the sons would not listen or heed their father. Perhaps they were very strong-willed and would not listen to their father, but at the same time, it says that it was the will of the Lord to put them to death. This story poses all kinds of questions about parenting and training, but at the same time I see that the will of God outweighs anything man can do. God was working out His plan for Israel by bringing Samuel to the forefront. It is good for me to remember that God's will always orchestras the ways of man. Certainly, Eli should have been a good father, but these were the circumstances that God chose to have his man Samuel as His voice.  How man's actions and God's will operate together is a great mystery, a mystery that doesn't negate human obedience and faithfulness or negate God's will and purpose. What is my answer? I must be obedient to God's word and seek to bring Him glory. I must trust His sovereign will and plan for my life. What He says will come to pass!

Father,
Help me trust You even though I don't understand many things. Thank You for Your words that guide me and give me life.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment