Monday, April 18, 2011

Worship

Ps. 63:1-4
"O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You: my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water. So I have looked upon You in the sanctuary, beholding Your power and glory. Because Your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise You. So I will bless You as long as I live, in Your name I will lift up my hands."

Since David was on the run for his life, he could not experience God in the sanctuary, the place of corporate worship. Because of this, his soul was sorely tested, depleted to the degree that he was thirsting and fainting for God. His lack of spiritual life had left him physically exhausted, but it had not left him without his desire for God. In fact, the wilderness had increased his desire to be with God in worship. He vividly remembered seeing God in the sanctuary, His great glory and power. In essence, worship was his lifeline, something that he would do as long as he lived. His memory was so vivid that not only was his heart praising God, but his hands were lifted up as well. His was a wilderness worship of the God that he loved.

How many times have I been depleted by life's circumstances and allowed them to weaken my worship? Instead of crying out to God in thirst and longing, I have allowed my circumstances to become my focus. Sadly, when I take my eyes off the God of my circumstances, then my flesh falters in the face of the circumstances. I see in David's response two things. First, the worship of God was his primary focus. Although he longed to be in the sanctuary to worship, he was able to worship in the wilderness. Worship described his personal relationship with God! Secondly, he allowed his circumstances to increase his desire to be with God not to take him away from God. 

Father,
Teach me how to let my circumstances increase my love and devotion to You. I want You to be my primary focus, but  I confess I often falter and fall. I need Your grace and strength to praise and bless Your name!
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment