Saturday, April 2, 2011

How Soon!

Judges 8:33-34
"As soon as Gideon died, the people of Israel turned again and whored after the Baals and made Baal-berith their God. And the people of Israel did not remember the Lord their God, who had delivered them from the hand of all their enemies on every side..."

Forty years of rest had vanished because the people whored after idols. Their memories of God were replaced with a cheap and false substitute. Not only did they forget what God had done for them, but they forgot Gideon's family. Once Gideon was off the scene physically, he had lost their honor and respect. Sadly, there was no enduring love for God's man or God Himself! Good was consumed with evil.

The power of the flesh is so strong that its false pleasures obliterate God. What a warning! Idolatry can not coexist with God. Two opposing masters are an impossibility within the human heart. How often do I remember what God has done in my life? Do I keep Him and His servants as my priority? Do I guard against my flesh as it ever seeks to take hold in my heart? 

Father,
Keep my memories of You and all You have done strong in my mind. Strengthen me in my battle against my flesh. Grow me in Your grace. 
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment