Saturday, April 16, 2011

Fear

Ps. 56:3-4
"When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?"

David had many reasons to fear since Saul and his armies were seeking his life. He was constantly on the move with food, provisions, and shelter scarce or totally lacking. Making it more difficult, David would not take the life of Saul because he was God's anointed. So what was David's only course of action? Running! Such a life style as this seems fraught with impossibilities that would create unparalleled fear. But David did not let fear run his life? Instead he turned to God. When fear tried to consume him, he turned to the God he could trust, the God whose words were the basis of his life, the God he loved and worshiped was sufficient for his every need and his every fear.  He did not fear what man, or specifically Saul, could do, because he knew God was sovereignly in control of all life. 

What amazing trust! I know that I have experienced fear that I couldn't shake no matter what I tried including prayer and Bible verses. So what is the difference? Perhaps I am using prayer and verses as a band-aid, something that I use when times get out of control. Whereas in David's life, I see these verses as reflective of a deep and abiding relationship with God, a communing with God in the good and the bad times. God was his life; in fact, God's call on his life was the reason he was on the run.

If I am to have this constant Communion with God, His grace must be my lifeline! "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work." All  grace as my sufficiency is what I need to eliminate fear, to live in close communion with God, and to trust Him for my daily circumstances.

Father,
Make Your grace abound in me so that I have Your sufficiency for all that You want me to do. Give me the strength to put off my self and put on Your grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment