Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Just the Name

Prov. 18:10
The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe.

Just the name! What power! With it comes all of God, His attributes, His actions, His character, and His great love! When God spoke to Moses giving him the task of leading the people out of Egypt, Moses needed to know one thing, one thing that he knew the people would ask him, What is Your name? God simply answered, I am who I am.  Such power! No words can adequately define or characterize His name. Not only was His name so holy that a commandment controlled its use, but the Israelites had to build a house for His name. 

What is my response to His name? Ps. 103 says is beautifully, Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name! His name forgives my iniquities, heals my diseases, redeems my life from the pit, crowns me with steadfast love and mercy, and satisifies me with good so that my youth is renewed like the eagle's. Wow! He has show unlimited compassion on me because he knows my frame. He remembers that I am dust!! The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. What a name is this! And this glorious name is freely given to me and goes with me throughout each moment of this life and will one day call me home to heaven where I will praise this name for eternity.

What is a strong tower? What is its use? How does it provide safety? It is a place of prominence, high up out of the fray and protected on all sides. His name provides this for me. But the problem with a tower is that in time they run out of supplies on the inside. So even though the people are protected from the outside, they can't make it from the inside. But His tower also has an unlimied supply of food and water since He is the Living Bread and Living Water. Here I am sustained endlessly. Here I am safe from the Devil who prowls about seeking someone to devour and from the enticements of my own lust. As long as I seek Him as my Tower I am safe. Righteousness is just such seeking! Where am I running? Am I sprinting into His tower or carelessly and foolishly thinking I can handle life and even Satan on my own? Thankfully, He has blessed me with all that I need to live godly in Christ Jesus. What a glorious name!

Father,
Thank You for such protection and for giving me Your name to love and cherish. Give me Your grace and strength to seek You constantly. Teach me to be Your righteous servant.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment