Sunday, August 3, 2014

Grace/Effort

2 Tim. 2:15
Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.

Do your best...This clearly demonstrates the relationship between grace and human effort. I know all is of grace. As Paul said in 1 Cor. 15:10, But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. Paul worked hard, but through the grace of God. At this point understanding this concept is something that I will probably have to wait until heaven to truly understand. I do not know that all is of grace. My ability to do anything is of grace. But my problem is is that many times I take off in my own strength. In essence [without even meaning it or thinking it] I am telling God that I can handle this [whatever it might be] on my own. Sometimes I must think [way back in the deep recesses of my mind] that God needs my help. Perhaps even that my plan is better. Such foolishness!!  

Is this question as simple as acknowledging God in all that I do? I notice that many times I operate on auto-pilot. I am going through the menial motions of everyday life without even a thought for God. Why not? Might it be truly wonderful if I would pray as I fold laundry? Or even if I had God-glorifying music on while I was cooking or cleaning up after a meal? I am sure that there are many ways that I could keep God in my daily life that would result in great blessings. But why don't I? How strong is my flesh! It controls me [many times] without me even thinking. And that is why I need to purposely keep God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit in my conscious thought. 

Paul encouraged Timothy to be a worker for Jesus, one who was unashamed because of his relationship to the word of God. Certainly the example of Paul would demonstrate what it means to be filled with the word. In truth, the Word was synonymous with his blood. As it coursed through his veins, it filled every part of him. Paul encouraged Timothy to be this same way. Make the word alive in your life. Give it free course throughout your entire body, brain, and soul. Perhaps then the relationship of grace and effort would be understood. 

Father,
Thank You for Your life-giving and life-continuing word. I so need it everyday. I confess Lord that my auto-pilot response is strong. Help me to change that. Give me Your grace so that I might be aware of You in all the moments of my day.
In the name of Jesus,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment