Sunday, August 10, 2014

Mission Statement

Titus 2: 11-14
 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age,  waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,  who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. 

This is my life, or what my life should be! The grace of God in the body of Jesus Christ appeared to all men bringing salvation not just in Christ's earthly lifetime, but even now. God's Spirit drew me to Him so that the grace of God could give me salvation. Consequently grace is the measure of my Christian life, grace for salvation and grace for living. This grace of God is to train me to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions [the put off's], and in their place put on self-control, uprightness, and godliness. I wonder if that is the problem. Have I not put off the world? Is it still creeping in preventing me from living a godly life? I know that the two cannot peacefully coexist. So this is the stuff of my daily living, of my sanctification. I can neither put off the behaviors of the world or put on the behaviors of grace without grace as my power source. Jesus is not interested in any putting off that I might do because it is just a shabby imitation. Putting off in the power of Jesus is the only way to go!

What is the focus of my daily life? Doing good works zealously! He has saved me to carry out the work of His ministry. He bought me back from sin for a specific purpose not so I might ride the fence gleaning the best of both sides, but instead living solely for Him by doing His good work. And what is the focus for my future? I am waiting for my blessed hope which is the appearing of Jesus Christ the glory of God. Why is this a big deal? Why should that be the future focus of my life? Because Jesus is the One who redeemed me from lawlessness so that I might become a people for His own possession. Once redeemed I no longer own myself, I am His slave to do only His work . But when His good work is done on earth, He will come to take me home to heaven as a child of God, an heir, a joint-heir with Christ.. It will be the most glorious event ever!

Father,
How important is this short passage! Thank You for bringing it before my eyes and my heart. I know that this is my mission statement. Teach me how to rely on grace more and more each day.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment