Monday, August 25, 2014

Sifting

Lk. 22:34
Jesus said, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me. 

Peter grandiosely stated that he was ready and willing to go with Jesus both to prison and to death. How many times have we [believers] made huge gestures and then were unable to fulfill them? How many times have we made a statement that we have not carried through on? Too many to count! Peter in all his enthusiasm and fervor wanted his statement to be true. He could not imagine that he would fail. But I wonder how he felt when Jesus' reply said that he [Peter] would deny him three times before the rooster crowed. Ouch! I know when someone has doubted that I would follow through on something, I worked all the harder to prove them wrong, but this was Jesus speaking and there was no proving Him wrong. 

Earlier in this passage, Jesus told Peter that Satan demanded to sift him like wheat. That's a little scary, but Jesus reassured him that he had prayed for Peter that his faith would not fail. Once again how would Peter feel hearing this? Two very specific statements should have made Peter aware. Maybe he was aware, but what Jesus says will happen will happen. This situation reminds me of Job where Satan spoke with God about sifting him. In Job's case the sifting was horrendous as will this be as well. But after Peter cried the bitter tears, he was changed and ready to serve the Jesus he loved.

Father,
I don't want to be the person that is untrue in her words or deeds. But I know an action done in the flesh will not count for anything. Help me to be grace infused throughout my day. Help me to hold fast when I am sifted.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment