Monday, August 11, 2014

The Goodness and Loving Kindness of God

Titus 3:4-7
But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared,  he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,  whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,  so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Without God's goodness and loving kindness, I would be lost as would all mankind. Salvation was initiated by God and given to those whom He chose for His own plan and purpose. My salvation [and the salvation of all mankind] had nothing to do with me, my works, my talents, my resourcefulness, or my vision. God's choosing had nothing to do with anything I could do. Somehow for most of mankind this fact is hard to swallow. They think that they have something to offer God or that they could make God's job easier if He would implement some of their plans. Thankfully, salvation was taken out of the hands of man so that no man could boast save only in Jesus Christ.  

Salvation was accomplished by the washing of regeneration [cleansing from sin] and by the renewal of the Spirit in my mind, my spirit, and my soul. This washing took place when Jesus took my place on the cross and carried with Him the sins of the world. For the first time ever God turned away from His Son. Why? So that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled. As the Spirit renews, He transforms my mind so that I might desire above all else the will of God. However, the Spirit's involvement goes beyond salvation. Not only does He transform but He indwells each new child of God and in me guiding, leading, and teaching. He helps in understanding the word of God. We have been justified an [including me] and made heirs with Christ so that someday when Jesus calls us home we can be heirs of the hope of eternal life. What a great Savior!

Father,
Thank You for so great a salvation and Savior. Your plan is perfect. Teach me how to listen to the Spirit so that I might be consistent with You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment