Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Important Commands

2 Tim. 4:2
...preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort with complete patience and teaching. 

There always has been and there still is much talk about end times. But Paul's task with Timothy was not so much about revealing end times to him as much as it was to make sure he was faithful until the time that Jesus would come back. I think that same thought goes for us. We must be found faithful when Jesus comes for us. For Timothy it meant to preach, be ready, reprove, rebuke, and exhort. I don't preach, but I am sure that I could put in its place sharing. I must share Jesus with anyone He brings across my path [to the unsaved], and be ready [that is the condition of my own heart and soul], and reprove, rebuke, and exhort [to the saved]. Jesus did not leave us with fuzzy, unclear instructions. Instead our path is clear.

After giving this very specific command, he went on to say,  As for you, always be sober-minded, endure sufferings, do the work of an evangelist, and fulfill your ministry. Paul definitely was in the serious mode. Verse 2 and 5 are a reflection of this. Certainly believers today need to be sober-minded, always watching and praying lest they fall into temptation. We must endure sufferings, tough though they be, this is how Jesus walked. He has commanded us to walk in His footsteps [impossible shoes to fill without grace]. Fulfilling our ministry [which is specific to each one of us] is a matter of faithfulness. It is the faithful believer who will hear the words, Well done, good and faithful servant. 

Such strong and specific commands! Paul knew the time of his departure was nearing. His heart for Timothy had to be expressed in heavy words. He wanted Timothy to be able to say like he said, I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved His appearing. Paul's life was Timothy's example. He too would be called home. So it is for all of us who believe. Am I faithful in all things, not just doing but in being? Am I longing for His appearing? Am I growing?

Father,
I confess that the world has often blinded my eyes to the truth, but I ask You to work in my heart. Start a fire that will burn up the dross. Help me keep my eyes on You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment