Saturday, July 2, 2011

Double Portion

II Kings 2:9
"When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, 'Ask what I shall do for you, before I am taken from you.' And Elisha said, 'Please let there be double portion of your spirit on me."


Elisha was not requesting land for his inheritance; instead, he was desiring spiritual power, a double portion of Elijah's spirit on him. What Elijah had, he wanted, only more so! Elijah told him that it was a hard thing but that if he could see him being taken, it would be so for him. Repeatedly Elijah asked Elisha to stay at Gilgal, Bethel, and Jericho, but Elisha's response was always, "As the Lord lives and as you yourself live, I will not leave you." He was undeterred in his spiritual quest! Finally as the two of them were talking, chariots of fire and horses of fire separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. Elisha saw it! He cried out, "My father, my father!"

In mourning and in preparation for his new power, he tore his clothes and picked up Elijah's cloak. On the bank of the Jordan, he struck the water with the cloak as he cried out, "Where is the Lord, the God of Elijah?" The water parted and Elisha crossed over. It was obvious to all watching that the Spirit of Elijah rested now on Elisha. His desire was granted. God would use Elisha like He had Elijah. His power was on Elisha as it had been on Elijah.

What a heart he had! He wanted only the spiritual blessing and power, to be like his master and continue to serve God. Are my desires to serve God that strong? Do I desire His power over anything else? Am I undeterred in my seeking?

Father,
Give me a heart only for You. Give me the strength of purpose and desire to seek only You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment