Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Judgment with Hope

Hos. 2:23
"And I will have mercy on No Mercy, and I will say to Not My People, You are my people. and he shall say, You are my God."

What a deal for Hosea! As the prophet he was to marry a whore and have children of whoredom because the land was committing great whoredom by forsaking the Lord. So Hosea obeyed and took for a wife Gomer. Her first son was named Jezreel for in a short while he would punish the house of Jehu for the blood of Jezreel and put and end to the kingdom of the house of Israel. On that day God would break the bow of Israel in the Valley of Jezreel. Next Gomer had a daughter named No Mercy because God would have no mercy on Israel. Next she had a son named Not My People because Israel was no longer His people and He was not their God. It sounds dire for Israel! What a message Hosea had to give! What a life he had to live!

Yet, on the flip side of these dire predictions God would show mercy one day when their hearts had changed. In that day, Israel would call God her husband and not Her Baal. In turn, God would show mercy to No Mercy and Not My People would become You are My People. The people would say You are my God! It is a time for great rejoicing, but imagine what they had to go through before they arrived at that day. Their hearts were consumed with idolatry. They had taken the grain, wine, and oil that God had blessed them with and used it for Baal. There was no faithfulness, steadfast love, or knowledge of God in the land, but instead swearing, lying, murder, stealing, and adultery. Their lives were bloodshed upon bloodshed! God's people were destroyed because they had rejected God's knowledge and consequently were rejected by God. God disciplined and even judged, but all in love. He waited until they could acknowledge their guilt and seek His face. One day they would return to the Lord with right hearts. For He "desires steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings."

Father,
Keep my heart tender, full of faithfulness and steadfast love. Help me to know You and honor You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment