Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Even to Old Age

Is. 44:4
"Even to your old age I am He, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and I will save."


God's power and care continue throughout my entire life. For after all, what is my old age and gray hair in light of eternity? Since God is timeless, what does gray hair even mean to Him? He has promised in Ps. 92 that "The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree and grow like a cedar in Lebanon. They are planted in the house of the Lord; they flourish in the courts of our God. They still bear fruit in old age; they are ever full of sap and green, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him." Apparently, old age in God's realm means fruitfulness. His purpose for me has nothing to do with my age. It has to do with my planting. Am I planted in the house of the Lord? Am I flourishing like the palm tree as I withstand the trials of life? Am I declaring His uprightness and His righteousness? It is in this planting that I can bear fruit and declare Him to those He has placed in my life.

Sadly, as people age, diseases attack their bodies making life cumbersome and painful. When that happens  the focus of life can change from declaring the Lord to just withstanding the pain and suffering of aging. But what does God say? Even though the pain is there, focus on Me. I will carry You. I will bear you up in my arms of love. God made and designed me so He certainly knows my aging process. So whatever it is, I can trust in Him and focus on Him as I declare His righteousness and uprightness. 

 "For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose'...I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass, I have purposed, and I will do it." How can I doubt the word of such a God? If He promises to carry me and bear me up, He will!  What He says will come to pass!

Father,
Keep my eyes focused on You and not on the pain of aging. Help me to declare You with all the breath that I have. Teach me to rest in Your words and let Your will be accomplished in my life,
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment