Saturday, July 16, 2011

The 'I' Problem

Is. 14: 13-15
"You said in your heart, I will ascend to heaven above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north. I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High."

When 'I' takes over, the plans become grandiose, the boundaries limitless, and the glory heady, but sadly, it is a fool's dream. In the very next verse, the outcome is revealed. "But you are brought down to Sheol, to the far reaches of the pit."  This man's condition becomes one where others stare and ponder wondering what became of the great dreams. The text says that even though kings lie in glory in their tombs, this king will be cast out like a loathed branch, clothed with the slain and those pierced by the sword. He will not be joined with the other kings because he destroyed his land and killed his own people. He became the focus of his entire life. Power and position consumed him destroying any good that he could have accomplished. This king of Babylon's life is a warning to all people of the power and corruption of personal pride and ambition. I

Father,
Reveal pride to me. Teach me how to repent and go in a different direction. Help me keep my eyes on You and You alone.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment