Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Plumb Line

Amos 7:8-9
"Behold I am setting a plumb line in the midst of my people Israel; I will never again pass by them. The high places shall be made desolate, and the sanctuaries of Israel shall be laid wast, and I will rise against the house of Jeroboam with the sword."

The plumb line showed how far off vertical alignment Israel was from the standard of the Torah. In fact the alignment was so far off, that collapse was inevitable. Israel's heart was hardened and idolatrous. The result: "Behold, the days are coming," declares the Lord God, "when I will send a famine on the land- not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord. They shall wander from sea to sea, and from north to east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, but they shall not find it." How tragic! I can't imagine the inability to find God's word, the all-satisfying life-giving words. The consequences of sin and hardness of heart are devastating, but God doesn't leave them there. "In that day I will raise up the booth of David that is fallen and repair its breaches, and raise up its ruins and rebuild it as in the days of old, that they may possess the remnant of Edom and all the nations who are called by my name." God honored His covenant with Israel, but their sin and its consequences could not be ignored. As I compare my life to the plumb line of God's word, where do I stand? I am so thankful for His grace and the blood of Jesus that covers me completely.

Father,
Keep my eyes focused on Your words. Make me vertically straight, perfectly aligned with You and Your will for my life. Convict me when idols creep in and seek to claim my heart. Grant me repentance by Your grace.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment