Saturday, June 23, 2012

Absalom, My Son

II Sam. 18:33
And the king was deeply moved and went up to the chamber over the gate and wept. And as he went, he said, 'O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son.

Even though Absalom was at war with his father and wanted his position and power so much that he started a rebellion, David still grieved over his death. Nothing could assuage his grief over Absalom's death. The bond that he felt as a father was stronger than power, position, and winning the battle. In fact during the battle, David had even gone so far as to tell his soldiers, For my sake protect the young man Absalom. What love and what heartbreak! Absalom's life was over. Still I think parents today who have a child who rejects Jesus must feel a similar emotion. What grief to know that your child rejects Jesus and eternal life with Him! What grief to know that your child is doomed to a Christ less eternity full of endless torment!

Father,
Even now I think of unsaved relatives and especially my brother. I know that my mom and dad's hearts must ache for his soul. Show mercy to him and draw him to yourself.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment