Monday, June 25, 2012

Take Up His Cross

Mk. 8:34-35
And calling the crowd to Him with His disciples, He said to them, If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his crosss and follow me. For whoever would save his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it.

These words were uttered just after Jesus foretold of His suffering, rejection, death, and resurrection. The disciples did not like hearing these terrible things yet to come, and Peter began to rebuke Jesus. How terrible to rebuke the Son of God! To try and prevent the plan of redemption! But Jesus rebuked him soundly because he was advancing the cause of Satan. He was viewing the future events from the eyes of man not the eyes of God.

As I think about what Jesus endured, it gives more meaning to deny self and taking up his cross. When Jesus denied Himself, it cost His life and eventual separation from His Father. He had to leave the glory of heaven and assume the frail body of flesh. He had to become everything that was heinous to a heavenly being. Yet He did this all for love and for the obedience to the Father's will. So if I am to follow Him, it will mean separation from the life that is easy and appealing to my flesh. It means that I must identify with Jesus in His suffering and death. My flesh and its desires must be crucified and transformed into the will of the Father no matter how hard or difficult that is. This is my only path to life. I must lose this fleshly life for His sake and the sake of the gospel. He and the gospel must become my primary and only motivation for all that I do.

Father,
Continue to reveal to me what this really means. Help me to deny self for You and the gospel. Take me down this path.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment