Thursday, June 28, 2012

Slave of All

Mk. 10:44-45
...and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.

Being a follower of Jesus counters what is the norm in life. Normally, people aspire to great heights, to be the best, to get the most money and prestige, but in the Kingdom of God, it is just the opposite. To be great in God's economy means to be slave of all, to be the lowliest in the chain of command. Pride in achievement or pride in self is replaced by love for others and service to others to the point self is put last. What pride is in that? None, that is the point! The kingdom of God does not honor self; instead it considers self to be an idol, a false god who brings nothing but harm to the soul. How does a person live like this since it counters all human fleshly desires? The power to live in the kingdom of God is supernatural coming from having a new life and a new nature that includes the indwelling Holy Spirit guiding and filling us So once I am saved the struggle is over? No, the sturggle is never over until I am taken to heaven where I will see Jesus as He is and be like Him. But for now I have the help of the Spirit and the intercession of Jesus Himself. I must follow the example of my Lord and Master who was a servant to all mankind by giving His life. How selfless was that! What an example!

Father,
As I grow in You, teach me to be more and more selfless each day. Open my eyes to the ways that I can serve others.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment