Sunday, June 10, 2012

Watch Out

Romans 16:17
I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught, avoid them.

I am to avoid those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine in the Word. Why? The first concern is that discord among the brothers is a serious issue. If the brothers constitute the body of Christ, then discord would be disturbing His body and His gospel, that for which He died. Secondly, this passage explains that those who create discord are serving their own appetites and not Jesus. They have reduced the body of Christ to a fleshly thing, one that feeds and glorifies self. Their methods include smooth talk and flattery, and their goal is to deceive the hearts of the naive. Finally, Paul explains how to combat these people. I am to be wise to what is good and innocent to what is evil. How is this accomplished? There is only one way to be wise to the good and that is to go to the source of all good, the Word. If I am saturated in the Word, then I will know when something is evil. I will be able to spot the wrong doctrine as well as the wrong people and avoid it and them!

Father.
Keep me pure and loving what is good and avoiding evil. Nurture my spirit so it will be sensitive to these issues.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment