Sunday, June 17, 2012

Despise the Word of the Lord

II Sam. 12:9
Why have you despised the word of the Lord, to do what is evil in his sight?

David's sin with Bathsheba and his murder of Uriah demonstrated the truth of sin. Sin is not just a momentary lapse in judgment or a fleshly desire fulfilled. It is not based in humanity, instead it is based in the rejection of the word of God. Sobering! Would I even know my sin was sin without the word of God? Certainly not, but if I would change my thinking about sin and begin to think of it as despising the word of the Lord, I would see the true spiritual significance of my sin. Most often I think of sin as my flesh doing what is natural, of my human flaws and weaknesses, and of course, of my fleshly inability to do anything about it. But thinking of it as despising the word of God means I am not using the grace and strength that Jesus has freely offered me and that I am not appropriating the power of the cross and the sacrifice that Jesus made. It means at those moments I value my own foolishness over the love of God. How shameful that I would chose such a thing! But thankfully, the grace of God provides forgiveness for me. Thankfully, the blood of Jesus has made me clean in the eyes of God, and that is something that is life-changing. But still I need to realize the power of the word and use it to walk worthy of Jesus Christ.

Father,
I confess many times I have despised Your word. My heart is sobered and ashamed. Teach me to walk in Your power and grace and never trample the cross or the blood of Jesus.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment