Friday, June 15, 2012

Pride Humbled

II Sam. 4:37
Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the Kind of heaven, for all His works are right and His ways are just; and those who walk in pride He is able to humble.

As Nebuchadnezzar walked on his roof, he said, Is not this great Babylon, which I have built by my mighty power as a royal residence and for the glory of my majesty? While the words were still hanging in his mouth, God spoke telling him that the kingdom had departed from him and his dwelling would be with the beasts for seven periods of time. Harsh! Immediately, Nebuchadnezzar ate grass, his hair grew long, his nails were like bird claws, and his body was wet with dew. At the end of that 7 years, he lifted his eyes to heaven and his reason returned to him. He blessed the most high praising him and honoring him forever. Amazingly, all was restored to him and still more greatness was added to him, but what a lesson to learn. God's ways are right and just and he will humble those who walk in pride!

What a powerful story! How revealing it is about the hearts of men! Even with God's great power revealed in nature and redemption, many men still believe they have accomplished so much. Many still believe that they alone are responsible for all of it and that God has nothing to do with it; sadly, even worse, many believe that God doesn't even exist. What huge pride! What is in my heart? Do I still try and take credit for God's blessings?

Father,
Reveal to me the hidden pride so that I might confess and get rid of it. Help me to live practically in the light of your sovereignty.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment