Wednesday, June 20, 2012

No Honor

Mk. 6:4-6
And Jesus said to them, 'A prophet is not without honor, except in his hometown and among his relatives and in his own household. And he could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them. And He marveled because of their unbelief.

How hard it is to share the Lord with family and those who are close to me! They remember me as I was  before not as I am after Jesus has transformed me. It seems like the old family dynamic comes into play, and often my flesh and irritations surface instead of the love of Christ. Whatever the reason, it is very hard to share the Lord effectively. Strangely enough, this was the same for Jesus. In a way that should be an encouragement to me. If Jesus was hindered because of their familiarity and unbelief, I can expect no less. However in Jesus' hometown, he was able to heal a few sick people, but only a few. God had sovereignly decreed that those healings should take place. For me, if God sovereignly decrees it, then some in that familiar circle might hear and respond.

Jesus marveled because of their unbelief. Why? Their unbelief was preventing them from experiencing miracles not just conversation. They would rather go without than listen and participate. How sad! But what I need to remember is to respond to those people like Jesus did not in irritation or frustration. I need to trust God's sovereign plan to be worked out in His time. Their salvation and response doesn't depend on me. It depends on God. I share what God has done for me, but then I leave it in His hands and His timing. The problem for me is sharing anything at all. Many times I try and figure out if something will be effective, and if I don't see it working, then I don't share at all. How would I know? Am I a sovereign God? No, I don't need to take on God's job, I only need to share what He has done in my life.

Father,
Give me Your grace and power to share boldly with those who are difficult. Help me to be unafraid and expose my fear.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment