Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Sinner's Savior

Mk. 2:17
And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.

Jesus was criticized for eating with sinners and tax collectors, with those people that the self-righteous Pharisees shunned. Even though the Pharisees could not see and certainly not meet the needs of these people,  Jesus could. He didn't just blast those people with the saving message, but he ate with them. He related to them where they were, listening and sharing. It was in this setting of familiarity that He could call sinners to repentance. I can only imagine what it would be like to eat a meal with Jesus--what it would be like to have someone know You so completely that He could meet every need that you had and answer every question that you thought. He not only exposed and met the needs of these people, but He exposed the hearts of the Pharisees. Even as they questioned in their minds and hearts when He healed the paralytic and ate with lowly types, He responded to what was in their minds answering their questions without having been stated. How powerful He must have been! No doubt the Pharisees power and sway over people was drastically altered. And they did not like it! However, instead of responding to Jesus for salvation, they became hostile and eventually sought His life. What is my heart like to those who are different from me, to those who are outside of my comfort zone? Do I have a heart like Jesus did?

Father,
Help me to see clearly the hearts of those who need You most. Take out of my heart any Pharisaical condescension and self-righteous that would keep me from being Your vessel to use.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment