Thursday, May 2, 2013

Eternal God

Ps. 102:25-27
Of old You laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands. They will perish, but you will remain. they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but You are the same, and Your years have no end.
 
How permanent is God and how fleeting and helpless is man!  Without God what can man do? In this psalm his days are described in poetic terms but that does not erase the depths of despair. 
  • His days pass away like smoke, and bones burns like a furnace.
  • His heart is struck down like  grass and has withered.
  • His groaning cause his bones to cling to his flesh.
  • He is like a desert owl of the wilderness, like an owl of the waste places.
  • He eats ashes like bread and mingles tears with his drink.
  • His days are like the evening shadow, and he withers like grass.
The psalmist feels that all of this is because Almighty God has thrown Him down. But even in the midst of  his despair, he knows how great and powerful God is. He wants God to look down on him and hear the groans of the prisoners, to set free those who were doomed to die. Why? So that the psalmist might declare the name of the Lord in Zion. There is no better place to come in times of despair than to the Lord. It is here man can acknowledge his finite being in contrast to God's infinite being. He can contrast His weakness to God's strength and His inability to God's perfect ability. He can place his life squarely in the hands of the Creator God for Him to do with as He desires. What a great example for me! When times are hard and news is bad, I must turn to my Creator God. It is only He that can put my life in perspective showing me the temporal nature of all that I often hold dear. He must be my shelter and refuge.
 
Father,
Take my eyes off what this world has to offer. Unite my heart with Yours so that I might be resting peacefully in all that You do in my life even in this disease.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment