Sunday, May 26, 2013

Grieving the Holy Spirit

Eph. 4:30
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
 
Paul states specifically how believers should live including what should no longer characterize their life. The Gentiles way of life included futility of mind, darkened understanding, alienated from life of God, hardness of heart, callous, given to sensuality, greedy to practice impurity, and corrupt deceitful desires. But when believers have learned Christ, their lifestyle must make a drastic shift, one that is easily recognizable.
 
 
Believers have been renewed in the spirit of their minds to put on the new self which is created in the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. How vastly different from the characteristics of the Gentiles! Certainly, believers should not be that hard to spot, yet for some reason they are. Life after Christ  means putting away falsehoods, speaking truth because we are members one of another, lack of anger, no stealing instead laboring, working honestly with hands all for the purpose of sharing with others. Notice it is not to amass money or possessions but to have a heart of giving! Corrupting talk must be replaced by talk that builds up and gives grace to those who listen. Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ Jesus forgave you. If I consistently followed these verses, it would be very obvious that my life was not my own, but that I belong to Christ. Obedience here would negate grieving the Holy Spirit. What must it be like for the Holy Spirit to live in me when I am angry, harsh, and unkind? It grieves my heart as well, but sadly not in the moment when temptation is attacking my weaknesses. I am sealed by Him for the day of redemption. My life course is new and transformed, and I must live like I believe it. I must live like I am created in the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness because I am!
 
Father,
I bring my heart to You confessing many times I have listened to and acted upon my old, Gentile roots. Fill me with strength in my inner being so that I make right choices and resist temptation and the Devil.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment