Thursday, May 16, 2013

Freedom

Gal. 6:12
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
 
Christ has freed us from the bonds of the law, hypocrisy, and legalism. In Christ none of these things count for anything. It is no longer a matter of what I do or how I appear to others, but it is a matter of heart. It is in the nature of man to want to do something because it feeds the flesh and pride, but Christ through grace has brought an end to performance-based religion. In Christ what matters is the heart, faith working through love. This gift of faith cannot exist alongside pride! Pride must be crucified to love through faith. How foreign this was in Paul's time, and strangely enough, it is still foreign to most people in my time. Achievement and performance are so important in my culture that loving as Christ commands is counter cultural. Love, humility, meekness, and patience have become words of weakness not strength. But does that negate the Word? No, I must serve others through love relying on the grace that only God supplies. Christ has given me the freedom to love and serve, but I must guard my freedom to ensure that I am living for Him and not for myself. How do I guard? To name a few things: Watch and pray, saturate myself in the Word, obedience to Him, and allowing Him to transform and renew my mind. I think it all hinges on submission and abandon. Giving up all that I am and have to Him.
 
Father,
Teach me to love others as You would have me love even in the midst of suffering. I love You, Lord and want to be wholly Yours.
In Jesus name,
Amen
. 

No comments:

Post a Comment