Thursday, May 30, 2013

In Faithfulness

Ps. 119:75
I know, O Lord, that Your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness You have afflicted me.
 
What a different slant to realize that in faithfulness God afflicts me just like He blesses me! Because I am God's creation, His hands have fashioned me to have meaning and purpose from His Word, the very Word that I hope in and rely on. God has promised me that all He does in my life is for my good and according to His purposes for me. That promise applies to blessings as well as afflictions. Since He is a faithful God, He must stay true to His Words, but His Word also promises me His steadfast love to comfort me. No doubt without affliction I wouldn't seek out His steadfast love and mercy. Afflictions take me to new ground with the Lord by reducing the power of my flesh and making it dependent on Him. As I delight in His Word, then the temporal loses its significance but perhaps not its pain. I am bound by this frail body of flesh, flesh which often betrays my spirit's desires, but He is there ready to forgive and love me. I pray my heart may be blameless through the power of His Word and His indwelling Son and Spirit.
 
Father,
Thank You for all the afflictions that Your have given me. I know that they are Your blessings in disguise and draw me ever closer to You. Give me Your strength and power to resist the weaknesses of my flesh and to saturate myself in Your Word. I love You, Lord.
In the name of the Son,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment