Thursday, May 9, 2013

Personal Examination

II Cor. 13:5
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? unless indeed you fail to meet the test.
 
Paul makes a similar point here as he did in Colossians 1:26-27, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to His saints. To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Without truly understanding who Christ is and that He indwells each believer, obedience to the Word becomes a legalistic, Pharisaical duty, a duty that can be puffed up by the excesses of the flesh and enable any number of sinful responses. What a shocker if someone had perceived him or herself as saved but had never really lived in the power of Christ! It would all be in vain like the virgins who did not have their lamps lit. Their pounding and knocking and their attesting to all they had done in the name of Christ did allow them admission. Doing something in the name of Christ and through the power of Christ must be the same. They cannot be separated!
 
As I look at myself, I often think about living in the power of Christ. I know that I must examine myself in the power of the Holy Spirit and allow His great convicting power to have full sway. Do I remember constantly that He dwells in me? Is my grasp on my self-will and self-worth lessening? Am I bringing Him praise? Are my priorities in line with the Word? Am I quick to respond in obedience, or do I drag my feet offering more of a grudging obedience? Abandon and surrender must be my key words!
 
Father,
I surrender to You and abandon my selfishness. Convict me mightily whenever I began a path of fleshly indulgence. Unite my heart to fear Your name. Teach me Your truth.
Through the Indwelling Christ,
Marcy 

No comments:

Post a Comment