Friday, May 17, 2013

Walk By the Spirit

Gal. 5:16
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
 
 
Walking by the Spirit is not something easily understood by many Christians because it is such an intangible concept as is the idea of the indwelling Spirit. But in the latter part of Gal. 5, Paul gives some obvious, identifiable connections.
  • For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. These two are at constant war. So to identify which is which, I would need to examine my desires. Is what I want feeding my flesh or my Spirit? Is it nurturing others or self? Is the result pride or humility? Answering these questions would definitely be a hard look and one that would take complete honesty. I must also understand the motives of the flesh. They are to prevent me from doing what I want to do. My flesh is weak and takes little persuasion so I must be constantly on guard, quick to confess and repent, and then go in the opposite direction.
 
  • The works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. The flesh manifests itself in definite ways, ways that reveal the true heart and motives. Do I see any of these actions in my life? If I do, then the flesh is taking control. Works of the flesh only come from the flesh! The Spirit does not reveal itself in fleshly activities. This is a warning! Wake up! Watch and pray! I cannot excuse any of the behaviors as justifiable or habitual. All of me must be all of Him!
 
  • Then on the positive side, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, against such things there is no law. Quite a contrast to the works of the flesh! If these qualities are mine and are growing in my life, then the Spirit is in control. It all seems pretty cut and dried. What do I see in my life? What am I allowing to control me? Am I growing in the ways of the Spirit? What are my true desires? Am I allowing sin because my walk is one of faith and grace?
 
  • And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since I belong to Jesus. I must follow Him in all areas including crucifying the flesh. The time is already past for me to indulge the flesh. I now walk in newness of life, in resurrection power with the indwelling Jesus Christ. Am I going to drag Him through the muck of my flesh? What do I really want?
 
  • If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. My walk and life must be in sync with my words and beliefs. My faith is not just a mind exercise, it is my whole way of life. I must be His totally, walking, living, thinking, breathing, feeling, in the Spirit! Every part of my life must be controlled by the Spirit. If not, then I am foolish! I am not living what I say. I am not obeying the clear commands of Scripture. I am not honoring my God or my Savior. He gave His all for me, what do I give to Him?
Father,
Open my eyes to see all that is in me. Reveal to me those hidden areas of self that seek to tear me down and hinder my walk in the Spirit. I surrender to You. teach me to walk in You.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment