Monday, June 3, 2013

Choice

Phil. 1:21
For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain.
 
It was Paul's desire and expectation that Christ would be honored in his body whether he lived or died. If he were to live on in the flesh, it would mean fruitful labor, or if he died he would be with Christ. Yet, even though His desire was to be with Christ, he knew that his life in the flesh was necessary for his ministry with the Philippians. What a choice! To Paul living was for Christ. He did not regret what he had or hadn't done in his physical life or long for more time to fulfill dreams or to pursue family relationships. Instead, his life was all about ministry. He cared deeply for the Philippian's growth in the Lord. He wanted to hear of them (whether he saw them in person or not) that they were walking worthy of the gospel of Christ.
 
When I think about dying, I think of all that I will miss with the family, all the events and accomplishments of the grandchildren that I won't see. I don't immediately think of the ministry that I will be missing. Even though Paul was not married and had no family that he interacted with, he still made that choice, the choice to live for Christ alone. But I am wondering if this was part of what Paul was referring to in I Cor. 7 where he said the unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But the married man is anxious about worldly things how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. Perhaps that is the crux of the issue, divided interests. Even though I am married and have a family that are a huge part of my life, I think Christ still needs to be first in my life. Perhaps for those married, that is the choice. Is Christ first?
 
I must ask myself if I am walking in a manner of life worthy of the gospel of Christ? Am I standing firm in one spirit with other believers striving side by side for the faith of the gospel? These areas were Paul's concern for the Philippian believers, but in v. 28 he took it one step farther when he encouraged them not to waver when persecution came. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of the Christ you should not only believe in Him but also suffer for His sake engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now have and that I still have. Am I willing to suffer for His sake? No doubt these are the issues that are involved in making this choice.
 
Father,
I ask that You purify my choices. Give me Your strength and wisdom to walk in a manner worthy of You and to be willing and ready to suffer for Christ.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment