Monday, June 10, 2013

Contentment

Phil. 4:11
Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.
 
Paul had learned a vital lesson: contentment. In any and every situation, he was content. Immediately I think of II Cor. 12:9-13. And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." There fore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then I am content with weaknesses, insult, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. His contentment was not only in the areas of possessions and position, but also in the areas of hardships, persecutions, and calamities. It spanned his entire life. He wasn't plagued with the 'if only I had this or that' or 'when will this all end?' Whatever he was experiencing was dung in comparison to Jesus Christ. His eyes were so firmly fixed on Jesus that this life was only for the sake of the gospel. No doubt that is the secret: I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Christ. The secret to this contented life is Christ who dwells within me. All His massive power is resident within me and is readily available for my use. So why am I tempted to want things that I don't have or even need? Why do I often allow the pain of disease to rule my life instead resting securely in His care? I think it is my flesh! My flesh is grasping and greedy wanting everything, desiring to feel no pain, and wanting the easy life.
 
Paul wouldn't have said that he could do all things through Christ if it wasn't true. It is true! Christ strengthens me to the degree that all things in this life are momentary and fleeting, not worth gaining or having. So we (I) do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we (I) look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. The pain doesn't leave. It still wastes away this diseased body, but while that all is happening, my inner man is being renewed. My eyes are being focused clearly on the eternal. Thankfully, my flesh is being exposed for what it really is before I can see the great blessings and the eternal weight of glory. What an encouragement and a promise to cling to: I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
 
Father,
Grow me more and more each day. Focus my eyes on Jesus so that I might rest fully in and on Him contented in the flesh but prepared for glory.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment