Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Seek and Set

Col. 3:1-4
If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set you minds on things that are above, not on things that are on the earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.
 
The fact is established! I am raised with Christ! As a result I need to seek His things, the things that are above where He is. In essence I am to seek Him, and let Him be my all. Not only that but I am to set my mind on things above. Setting and seeking speak of an intentional placing not accomplished by happenstance. It is an act of my will, seeking Him and surrendering my mind to think only of heavenly things. Why? Because I have died, and now my life is hidden with Christ! I must become what I am! When He appears then, I will also appear with Him in glory. He is coming for me. I must be ready, filled with His grace and seeking and setting my entire being on Him. He is now my focus and my priority.
 
Sounds great! But how? Verse 5 says Put to death what is earthly in you. Sounds like an impossible task! But Paul specifically gives a list: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, covetousness which is idolatry, anger, wrath, malice, slander, obscene talk, and lying. In the same way that I set and seek, I need to surrender my earthly desires and will to Him. These things need to be dead to me! They are part of my old self not my new self which is being renewed after the image of my Creator.  Since I once walked in them, it is easy for me to walk that way again, to indulge my flesh and get a degree of gratification. The choice is mine. It sounds like a no-brainer! Why would I choose any of these things over the heavenly things? It is my flesh. I have a constant battle with it and am constantly confessing and surrendering. The problem is when I let my heart wander repeatedly. Once again it is where I am seeking and setting. It is what I value as important. It is where my focus is. If I am seeking and setting, I should have no time left to allow the flesh to take control of my life. The positive and the negative, what a choice!
 
Father,
I do want the positive. I want to be seeking Jesus and setting my mind of spiritual things. Give me strength to grow. Unite my heart to fear Your name. Teach me Your will.
In Him,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment