Sunday, June 9, 2013

Worry Free

Phil. 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 
What glorious verses! God, the God of all peace, gives peace to His own. But Paul begins this section with Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I will say, Rejoice! Immediately, the word always sticks out. How hard is it to rejoice always?? Every minute even second of the day? My flesh doesn't naturally rejoice; in fact, it appears that fleshly default mode is grumbling, questioning, disappointment, and any other number of negative feelings. That is why the verse says to rejoice in the Lord. It can only be in Him and through His grace. Perhaps there should be a disclaimer, Not Humanly Possible!
 
This grace-filled rejoicing is the precursor to the worry-free life. Verse 6 says don't be anxious about anything. Anything seems to be broad enough to cover anything! But how is this life a reality? Prayer and supplication with thanksgiving. When prayer is slackened, worry jumps in to fill the void. I am blessed, as are all Christians, with a simple father-child relationship. So why do I neglect to pray, to ask my Father, and allow worry to destroy my peace? So foolish! God has promised that if I pray with the attitude of thanksgiving, thanksgiving for whatever He has placed in my life, His peace will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. It is almost formulaic! Prayer and Supplication + Thanksgiving= Peace of God.
 
As if this is not enough, He gives me another practical method (involving the thought life) to ensure this peace. I have found that often after praying, I allow my mind to wander and figure out all manner of scenarios, what if's, and if only's. (I am pretty sure that this is not trusting in the peace of God.)  But Paul encouraged these believers not to do this when he said, Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Are the what if's and the if only's true? Absolutely not! I know I shouldn't do this, but do I count these times as sin? As disobedience? I need to be on guard constantly that I don't allow my flesh to take over in the worry arena.
 
Father,
Thank You for these great promises of hope. Build my faith and trust in You, Your Word.  Prompt me always to come to You in prayer and trust You to take care of all that I need. I do rejoice in You!
In His name,
Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment