Friday, June 21, 2013

Sharing the Gospel

Col. 4:2-6
Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison--that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak. Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer each person.
 
Steadfast prayer is crucial for effectively sharing the word. All that I do must be bathed in prayer even to the degree of being watchful, watchful for temptations, for opportunities, and for intercession. As I pray for others, they in turn,  pray for me. This web of prayer opens the door for the word. Paul's life was always and only concerned with sharing the word. I am chagrined at my lack of sharing and even concern for sharing. Definitely, it is something that I need to make a matter of prayer.
 
Walking in wisdom is essential for sharing the Word with outsiders. No blundering! No alienating! In Spirit-driven wisdom, I must make the best use of my time, that is not choosing a good thing over the best thing. There are so many good things in the world that are enjoyable that it makes it difficult to choose the best thing, that is sharing the gospel. How easy it is to get involved in sports, hobbies, movie, TV, etc.! When I do share, my speech must be gracious, seasoned with salt. How is speech gracious? I think it means showing others the same grace that God showed me. His grace to me was and is limitless, forgiving, kind, and loving. Do these traits characterize my manner and my speech? It is in and through grace that I will know how to answer. Simply put, prayer+open door+gracious speech=sharing the gospel.
 
Father,
I confess I am not as consistent as I should be in prayer. Give me the strength to make the right choices. Help me be gracious in all that I do and say.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment