Thursday, June 20, 2013

Dwell Richly

Col. 3:15
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
 
Immediately preceding this verse is a verse that talks about peace. I am to let the peace of Christ rule in my heart, to which indeed I was called in one body. And be thankful. Does peace precede the rich dwelling of the Word? I know that when peace is ruling in my heart, my heart is trusting implicitly in Him as a sovereign God. I have relinquished control of myself to His plan and purpose even when the situation is adverse. Also I know the peace of God through the sacrifice of Christ. Sin no longer has me in bondage. His sacrifice has freed me from this curse and filled my life with peace. Perhaps, it is in this peaceful state of my soul that the Word can take root and dwell richly. It is in this state of peace, that I am part of the body. It is here that my soul is thankful. What a great gift!
 
What does it mean to let the word of Christ dwell richly in me? First, there must be an act of my will because in order to let, I would have to allow His Word in my life. Unless I allow the Word an entrance, there is not the least hope of a rich dwelling. Rich dwelling goes beyond a casual reading or even an infrequent reading. I think it must be a priority in my life: reading, meditating, memorizing, and praying these Words. These are transforming words! In them is the potential to become a new person. In them is the ability to teach and admonish others in wisdom. No more foot-in-mouth syndrome! In them I can talk, think, and feel in wisdom. Wow! In them is the music of the transformed life: psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. No more singing the blues! In them is the spirit of thanksgiving. It is in this richness that I communicate with the Father. So many blessings from this rich dwelling! So why is it so hard to make time for the Word? That is the loaded question!
 
The result of this rich dwelling is in the next verse. And whatever you do, in word and deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. If rich dwelling is in place, then there will not be the constant struggle to know the right thing to do or even to feel like a failure. How many times have I wished God would send down orders for each day? In truth He already has! If I am dwelling richly in the Word of Christ, I will be doing everything in His name! This is my answer for daily living and for all the decisions that I need to make. Dwell richly! Two simple words but how crucial for my life. 
 
Father,
Teach me to dwell richly in His Word with a heart of thanksgiving and praise. Draw me to You so that I will not be tempted to rely on myself. I confess I often do. Help me have the constant conversation with You.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment