Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Promise and Lesson

Phil. 4:19
And my God will supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
 
What a glorious promise and one that has been claimed so often! But I do think it is interesting to understand the context in which this promise is set. The Philippians had shared in Paul's trouble by sending him financial support when he left Macedonia and Thessalonica. Essentially, they had entered into partnership with him, something that no other church had done. Paul explained that he didn't seek the gift, but that he sought the fruit that would increase from their gift. What was that fruit?
 
The passage goes on to say that their gift was a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. Their generosity and love had resulted in commensurate spiritual growth. What they had done was acceptable and pleasing to God; and in that case, have had a degree of self sacrifice. They didn't just give from their abundance but from their heart of love and sacrifice. So Paul wanted to encourage them that God would supply their need even in this special set of circumstances. If giving to Paul had created a  whole in their financial budget, God's provision would be from His riches in glory, riches that are unlimited.
 
I know that I lived through some very poor years, years that I begrudged John for giving to the church. Even though I knew the promise, it was in theory and not in reality. But now I see that giving to God and His ministry brings with it divine provision. Giving while trusting for the provision would increase my relationship with God and my faith in His great power. Certainly, we gave all those years ago, but I didn't get the commensurate spiritual growth. It was low tide for me spiritually. My attitude and motives cheated me out of what could have been a time of great blessing. How hard it is to trust when conditions are so very dire! The flesh looms large and tends to put God in a small box, a box of my own making. What a great promise and lesson!
 
Father,
Thank You for teaching me every day. I confess my begrudging attitude and my lack of faith and trust. Continue drawing me close to You so that all in my life will be to the glory of our God and Father.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment