Friday, June 7, 2013

Focus

Phil. 3:7-8
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ ...
 
Paul began Ch. 3 with the command to rejoice in the Lord. Sounds simple but not really in reality! He went on to say warn against false teachers and those who mutilate the flesh. Can I rejoice as I watch out for the things that want to erode and alter my faith? I am to put no confidence in the flesh, this flesh that is with me 24-7, this flesh that is always pulling me down into some negative slough of despond. Can I rejoice when my flesh is hurting or in pain? Can I rejoice when my flesh is trying to assert self-sufficiency over God sufficiency? In order to rejoice I need to alter my focus, my view of life.
 
Paul stated emphatically, But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. He counted all fleshly things, things that gave him status in this world and in religious circles as loss. They meant nothing! He could rejoice because this world had no significance for him except as things were related to Christ and his ministry. In fact nothing had value when compared to the surpassing worth of knowing Christ. For the sake of Christ all the suffering, pain, loss, calamity, injury were merely rubbish, things to be cast off and thrown away. What is left? Rejoicing in the Lord. Rejoicing can be a reality when my world view has completely changed, when my focus is no longer on what's important in the world, and when I look to Jesus instead of allowing pain and illness to become my focus. What great words! Paul counted these true. He believed them so much that he lived them in reality. Do I believe this words enough to change my life? Or do I just want to read and appreciate them, but see them as something I would have to grow into much later down the road? Strong Words! Words to pray
 
Father,
Teach me this world view. Guide me down Your path so that each step takes me closer to You and more distant from my flesh. Help me count all things as loss for the sake of Jesus.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment